Estimated reading time: 2 minutesJump to Recipe
Today it’s time for a new recipe out of Middle East and what fits better than a Baba Ganoush? I love this recipe, as it is very simple and fast to prepare, ideally you do it together with an BBQ as an appetizer. As the smoky flavor of the wood or charcoal is needed, to give this dish it’s authentically taste. It’s also available as a vegan dish.
What is Baba Ganoush?
Let me explain, what this dish is about. Babaganoush is a Mediterranean/ Middle Eastern eggplant dip made from roasted or grilled eggplant, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt. Consistency reminds on hummus, it’s delicious with pita bread, but its silky texture and irresistible smoky flavor set it apart. This Baba Ganoush recipe is slightly different, but absolutely identical in taste! Find another Middle Eastern recipe from me here.
To be precise, Baba Ganoush, is originated in Lebanon and there is no dairy in the recipe. Moutable is the same dish, but labneh (similar to cream cheese) is added to the roasted eggplant, tahini, lemon juice and olive oil. But nowadays many of us call the Moutabel as Baba Ganoush.
Find more about Tahini here, at the end it comes with additional flavor (umami) for the dish itself, but if you are allergic to sesame, feel free to leave it away of course.
- 1 grill or gas flame
- 1 cooking knife sharp
- 1 cutting board
- 1 pcs eggplant
- 1 pcs pomegranate
- 2 tbsp walnuts
- 1 tbsp mint
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- 2 tbsp yogurt fat reduced
- 0,5 pcs lemon
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp tahini
- Roast the eggplant on a grill or gas flame, until soft inside (to check, insert a knife in the center). For the pomegranate remove the seeds as shown in the video below. Wash the mint and cilantro, roast the walnuts and chop it finely.
- For the roasted eggplant, remove the burned skin and cut the eggplant as shown in the video
- To the yogurt, add the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, chopped garlic and tahini in a mixing bowl. Mix it nicely.
- Plate the eggplant, top it with the dressing, add the pomegranate seeds and chopped walnuts. Garnish with fresh mint and cilantro.