Estimated reading time: 3 minutes
Today I will share with you a nice light recipe of a Mediterranean Bean Stew with Shrimps! Years back I found a recipe, which included meat balls and potatoes, of course the taste was really nice, but after the meal I felt literally sooooo sleepy! So my body was definitely overwhelmed with the amount on food and it’s nutrients! So I was making it to my task, to offer you here a lighter version of this recipe, low in fat and rich in essential Omega 3 fatty acids and fibre.
Bean Stews in general
Bean stews are hearty soups made with all sorts of vegetables, seasoned broth, and of course, beans! They are full of amazing ingredients, beans are a nutritional powerhouse and packed with good protein and fiber. Additionally to that it’s not really pricy to cook these stews. At least in Germany, where I am coming from, we will have it traditionally in autumn, as stews creating a comfortable body heat during the cold and rainy whether.
So as mentioned, beans coming along with many benefits to your body, but also the vegetables and the shrimps I used, making this recipe to a power dish! Fish in general is rich on essential Omega 3 fatty acids and the vegetables known for its fiber.
In this stew I used canned white beans, without sugar. Please check the nutritional facts on the back of the can, because some (most) of the canned products including unnecessary sugar! I only used canned ones to save some time for you at home. If you want to work with dried beans, please feel free to do so. You only need to soak it overnight in water and give it to the stew recipe at the very beginning.
If you are allergic to shellfish, then I would suggest to go with a fish instead. This should be fine and don’t harm you. Other option is keeping it vegetarian or use chicken for the recipe.
Mediterranean Bean Stew with Shrimps
- 1 knife sharp
- 1 cutting board
- 1 cooking pot
- 1 strainer
- 1 frying pan
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 8 pcs shrimps shells and head
- 1 pcs tomato
- 0,5 pcs carrot
- 2 pcs onions pearl
- 1 pcs garlic clove
- 2 tbsp soy sauce light on salt
- 1 tbsp celery
- 600 ml water
- 2 g salt
- 0,5 pcs carrot dices
- 0,5 pcs onion dices
- 1 can white beans without sugar
- 2 tbsp celery chopped
- 1 tbsp basil
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 8 pcs shrimps cleaned, 16/20, Extra Jumbo
- 2 g salt
- Clean the shrimps as shown in the video attached and roast the heads and shells in a pot, add the salt, pearl onions, tomato, soy sauce and water.
- Let it simmer and remove the foam on the top. Let it simmer very slowly for another 45 min, strain everything. Use the broth for the bean stew.
- Sauté the carrot and onion, add the broth and let it simmer on low heat for 10 minutes (until the carrots are fully cooked). Wash the beans and add them into the broth.
- Add the celery and basil. In a frying pan fry the prawns in olive oil, add a pinch of salt. If you like add butter.
- Plate the bean stew in a bowl, add the shrimps and garnish with basil.