Estimated reading time: 3 minutesJump to Recipe
The autumn is coming with the month of September. And what fits better into this month, then a Beetroot Salad with Feta cheese, walnuts and honey. I found this combination the perfect match with the nowadays all year available beetroot. The “earthy” taste is not everybody’s favorite, as i know, but it can also be replaced with roasted pumpkin for example.
In this case I cooked the beetroot in salted water, but usually I roast the roots in the oven for 45-60 minutes within 150 degrees Celsius (302 degrees Fahrenheit). You will know whether the roots are cooked or not, in the moment you prick with a knife inside. It should feel soft and cooked.
What are the Benefits of Beetroot and Walnut?
Well, beetroot is rich on vitamin B9, which is good for cell building. It reduces the risks of stroke and heart diseases. Having the beetroot raw, in form of juice, for example is well known for “detox treatments”. Even though I don’t like this word (as it is used in so many wrong ways), as a matter of fact, the juice reduces the blood pressure, is a good source of potassium and other minerals and may prevent cancer. For the best result, meaning for the juice with the most nutrients still inside, you should invest in a slow juicer or a high speed blender and drink the juice immediately. As daylight and oxygen destroys slowly some of the extracted vitamins and minerals.
The walnuts are rich in antioxidants and are a perfect source of Omega 3. They may reduce heart disease and cancer risk, as well as improve brain function and possibly slow the progression of Alzheimer’s disease. Thats why nuts are also known as brain food.
FAQ to my Beetroot Salad with Feta
Sure, try it with roasted pumpkin or peaches, this taste is also very interesting.
Replace the walnut with pumpkin or sunflower seeds. Find more information about nut allergy here.
Beetroot Salad with Feta
- 1 knife sharp
- 1 pot
- 1 cutting board
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 pan to roast the walnuts
- 0,5 pcs beetroot
- 5 g salt for 3 liter water
- 20 g walnuts
- 50 g kale cleaned and washed
- 70 g feta cheese fat reduced
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tbsp vinegar white
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra vergin
- 1 pinch salt
- Boil the beetroot for about 45-60 minutes in salted water, until it's soft and fully cooked. (Prick with a knife inside, to check the consistency) Peel the skin, slice it off in thin slices.
- Wash the kale and try it in a salad spinner if you have, roast the walnuts (pan or oven) and chop it roughly.
- For the dressing, give mustard, white vinegar, olive oil and salt in a bowl and mix it. Toss the kale inside and plated it in a bowl. Top it with beets, walnuts, feta cheese and honey.
Start the conversation