Estimated reading time: 3 minutesJump to Recipe
…also written “Shakshouka”, depends on the country you are in Middle East is a Maghrebi dish of eggs poached in a sauce of tomatoes, olive oil, peppers, onion and garlic, commonly spiced with cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper. I used to have Shakshuka in my restaurants for breakfast especially during my time in Doha, Qatar.
But in fact, it works for me all day long, but it is definitely the best dish for a hangover breakfast! Paired with a warm Pita Bread it’s a dream!
What makes this Shakshuka Recipe healthy?
Well let’s get into detail now:
Garlic; it helps to boost your immune system, reduces high blood pressure and cholesterol levels. Garlic also have antibiotic properties.
Chili; studies show that 10 grams of red chili pepper can significantly increase fat burning in both men and women. Find more in this post here.
Tahini; is highly nutritious, rich in antioxidants and may decrease your risk of certain diseases.
Eggs; offer a complete protein, help your “good” cholesterol and lower your odds of a stroke.
Cilantro; rids your body of heavy metals, protects against oxidative stress and lowers blood sugar levels. A true herb for a proper detox.
I don’t know whether this is related or not but a lot of my guests and myself figured out, that this dish really helps as a hangover breakfast. So next time give it a try, when the night was long! 😉
FAQ to my Shakshuka
You can replace the eggs with some Tofu, if you want. That works perfectly fine and is tasty!
Is similar to this recipe, the only difference is, that only green ingredients are used to cook it. Green peppers, spinach, avocado and many more for example. Find a recipe here.
Then you should definitely replace the tahini with something else instead or just leave it away.
- 1 cutting board
- 1 cooking knife sharp
- 1 spatula
- 4 pcs pearl onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 pcs mushroom
- 3 pcs tomatoes you can also work with can tomatoes without sugar
- 0,5 pcs red bell pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil extra vergin
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp cilantro powder
- 0,5 pcs chili
- 100 ml water
- 2 pcs eggs
- 1 tsp tahini
- 1 tsp cilantro
- 1 pcs whole grain pita bread no sugar
- Chop onions, garlic, mushrooms, tomatoes and red bell pepper finely. Half the chili, remove stand.
- Heat a frying pan, add olive oil and sauté the mushroom, onion, garlic and bell pepper with salt. Add the tomatoes and a little water. Add the chili and let everything cook 15 minutes. Add the two eggs now and let them poach on top of the sauce as wished (med, hart 5-10 min).
- To finish this dish, spinn the tahini on top and garnish everything with cilantro leaves. Reheat the whole wheat pita bread in the oven or directly on a flame.