Estimated reading time: 3 minutesJump to Recipe
The summer is here and at least in Europe it’s very hot and try this year! So of course, everyone is in the need of something refreshing. That’s why I come up with a super summer recipe, a Watermelon Salad with Feta Cheese and Chicken Breast!
Very refreshing, easy to prepare, the perfect lunch! Also for your dinner it is a very good idea. You can even have it as a side dish for a BBQ night with friends! If you are looking for more recipes for this night I recommend to check this recipe out!
Why is a Watermelon Salad ideal for summer month?
Hot and sunny days may take a toll on your health, watermelons are ideal to ward off heat strokes. The high amount of water (92%) and electrolytes in watermelons keep you hydrated and stimulates perspiration, which naturally cools your body further on hot days. Check for more information this article.
Kale is rich in minerals, antioxidants and vitamins, particularly vitamins A, C and K. To reap the most benefits, it’s best eaten raw, as cooking reduces the nutritional profile of the vegetable.
Otherwise your watermelon will adopt the taste of the onion, which is in most of the cases not nice! In general it’s more hygienic to have a collection of cutting boards to avoid cross contaminations under food items.
FAQ to this recipe
Absolutely! Replace the honey with maple or agave syrup and the chicken breast with a smoked tofu, which can be also grilled.
No problem, I got you! Replace the watermelon with papaya or baked beetroot. This works also quite well!
Just replace the feta cheese with ether a certified lactose-free cheese or smoked tofu.
Watermelon Salad with Chicken
- 1 frying pan
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 knife sharp
- 1 cutting board
- 1 strainer
- 120 g kale
- 30 g arugula
- 2 pcs pearl onion
- 6 pcs cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 50 g watermelon cubes
- 1 tbsp vinegar white
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra vergin
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp honey natural, no glucose syrup added
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pcs chicken breast
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper grinded
- 100 g feta cheese reduced fat
- Wash the kale and arugula and strain it. Peal the onion and slice it into stripes (Julienne), half the cherry tomatoes and have the watermelon cubes ready.
- In a mixing bowl, add white vinegar, olive oil, mustard, honey and a pinch of salt. Give it a whisk. Add the onions, tomatoes, watermelon and the salad and mix it carefully.
- Salt the chicken breast and fry it in a little bit olive oil on medium heat. Depending on the size of the breast 4-5 min each side. When the chicken is cooked fully rest it for 2 minutes before you slice it off and grind some pepper over it. Top the salad with feta cheese crumbles and the chicken breast.
Start the conversation