Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
Today I created a super fast and easy snack idea, which is also ideal for dinner. Tartine! This time with Beetroot and Pea Shoots. Prep can me done comfortably in advance, the snack itself takes only 10 minutes. You will find more Tartine ideas here in the blog in the near future.
What is a tartine?
Tartine is a slice of bread, with sweet or savory topping, so basically an open faced sandwich. So quite simple, or!? That’s why it’s even more important, that the ingredients itself are from top quality and taste!
For the bread, for example, I decided on a handmade 72 hours produced sourdough bread made out of a whole grain flour. The sourdough itself is the secret ingredient. It’s basically fermented flour with water and you can keep it in the chiller for quite some time. Traditional bakeries have their own recipe, which they are already following over decades. With every new sourdough badge, they keep a small amount on the side and starting off the following badge with it.
I like my bread always toasted, as it comes with an extra crunch. But this is not necessarily needed. Especially in the evening I usually want to have a simple and fast dinner, and with the right amount on prep this is absolutely durable.
What is so healthy on beetroot?
Well first of all, you can prepare it super easy. You can either cook it in water and little salt like potatoes or your bake it in the oven. Both ways take about 45 minutes. I also like the variant, where you wrap the beetroot with a little butter and salt in aluminium foil, place it in a tray and bake it 45 minutes with 150 degrees Celcius (300 Fahrenheit) in the oven. In all cases you can check whether the beets are soft, same like the potatoes with a knife shown in the video below.
But beets also come with a lot of benefits for your body:
- It has many nutrients and less calories
- Keeps the blood pressure in balance
- helps to fight inflammation’s
- it supports your brain health
These are only a few benefits of beetroot, but for me the most important ones.
Tartine with Beetroot
- 1 knife sharp
- 1 cutting board
- 1 pot
- 200 ml water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp vinegar white
- 1 pcs cucumber Lebanese in thin slices
- 0,5 pcs beetroot slices
- 1 tbsp pea shoots or other sprouts
- 30 g cream cheese low fat
- 1 slice sourdough bread whole grain
- 0,25 pcs lemon zest
- 1 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- Mix all ingredients in a pot and bring it to boil. Place vegetables in a mason jar (cucumber in this case) and pour the hot pickle stock over it. Close the jar, chill it upside down on the kitchen countertop. Later you can store it in the chiller.
- Toast the slice of sour dough bread on both sides. Spread the cream cheese on top of it after. Garnish your tartine with the beetroot slices, pickled cucumber and pea shoots.
- Last but not least, grate a little bit of lemon zest and sprinkle extra virgin olive oil on top.
Start the conversation